Beauty lives in the simple,
the natural, the authentic.
It lives in gorgeous yummy light,
soft neutral textures,
& genuine emotion.
Our time together is designed
to give that beauty to you.
To curate it, celebrate it
& return it to you in fine art portraits
that are full of joy & the beauty
that is your family.
My philosophy of an organic portrait is one that removes the distractions of loud colours, props & excess to allow natural connection & emotion to shine through in each photograph.
- You & your babies all snuggled up & loving on each other
- Your child comforted by your embrace
- The laughter of your child while she’s tickled by her mama
These are the moments of real connection & authenticity that I look for when photographing your Motherhood Session. They happen in an instant and are not scripted, but instead you are directed to allow for them to naturally occur.
Please read over the following information to help you prepare for your session and make the most of our time together!
Now that you’ve booked your session, we’ll go right to work planning the fine details. I am here to answer any questions that you may have & guide you through the process so that our session together exceeds your expectations. Please feel free to ask me anything - even if it seems silly or insignificant. Talk to me about your wardrobe; send me pictures. I want you to feel 100% prepared before I pick up my camera.
Please feel free to check out The Style Guide! It's a really good place to start looking for wardrobe inspiration for your session.
I always recommend starting with mom’s outfit & then building everyone else's wardrobe around hers. Lay all of the outfits out together: it will be apparent if there is a piece that doesn’t belong. You & your children should definitely should not match exactly, but you want to keep your clothing in the same tonal range.
My clients often text (780-554-9132) or email me images while they are going through their closets or out shopping. I am happy to give advice & help you come to a cohesive look!
redwagon’s Curated Closet offers gorgeous, floaty dresses for mamas (xs through 4x), & so many sweet options for your littles (mostly up to size 4T, but I do have a few pieces in bigger sizes as well). You are more than welcome to borrow from it for your session. I have scheduled around 10 minutes for wardrobe at the beginning of our time together. If you are interested in potentially borrowing from the wardrobe, let me know what sizes you and your kids are wearing and I'll pull some options.
Bringing along a backup outfit in case you don't find something in the Curated Closet that you love is a great idea.
- Choose a classic, neutral palette with soft accent colours
- Avoid large prints & patterns, as well as clothing with logos & writing
- Consider adding a small, neutral print or pattern for interest
- Layering (even in the same neutral colour scheme) in various textures & tone can add interest
(Think: stacked bracelets, necklaces, earrings, scarves etc)
- If you are planning to borrow something from the Curated Studio Wardrobe, please wear nude coloured undergarments & a strapless bra
- Please remove old, chipped nail polish (same goes for little girls!) If getting a mani-pedi (which I highly recommend!), please choose nude or light coloured polish or a french manicure
- Make sure children are free of stickers, stamps & temporary tattoos
- Since we are shooting in studio, we will photograph you barefoot
- Check the fine details & make sure everything is polished
- soft gray
- pale pink
- light blue
- Free People
- Banana Republic
- The GAP
- Old Navy
- Baltic Born
- Jamie Kay
- Rachel Pally
Neutral colours & soft, flowing fabrics will result in soft & organic images.
I know your portraits are so important to you & it’s easy to let anxiety take over. Here are some other tips for a successful session.
Don’t come to your portrait session with an empty stomach, or schedule in the middle of nap time!
Make sure you schedule enough time to get everyone ready. Rushing around to get everyone fed, dressed & ready is no fun and it sets the tone for a disorganized, unhappy session. Make sure that there’s lots of time for baths, grooming & dressing. Having some extra time will make a big difference.
- On the day of the session, I have a very busy schedule so please, please, please be on time or 5 minutes early.
- Due to Covid-19 safety precautions, please text me when you arrive at 780-554-9132 & wait in your vehicle. We have left extra time for sanitizing between sessions & we'll send you a text back when we are ready for you to enter the studio.
- Unfortunately due to Covid concerns, please refrain from bringing any props or other personal items along for your session.
- There are no cameras permitted of any kind. This includes video cameras and camera phones.
- Due to the limited time of these sessions, no clothing changes are permitted during the session.
I specialize in authentic, organic portraits… images that showcase the special connection that you have with your children, as well as the personalities in your family. I will almost always take a few images with everyone looking at the camera, but my goal with every session is capture the true emotion & love in your family. I love to step back and give you space to connect with each other & be in the moment. I will absolutely tell you where I need you to be and give you direction throughout the session, but I really want to capture the REAL interactions.
This is the best way to achieve those intimate, connected images. Please do not tell your children to smile at the camera, & don’t become frustrated if you feel that things aren’t going the way that you planned. Interact with your children as you normally would. Whisper secrets in their ear while you cuddle them close. Shower them with kisses. Lift them up & tickle them. Let your kids be themselves & relax into the moment.
If you come prepared to laugh, cuddle, & have a great time with your loves, I’ll do the rest.
Once we have photographed your session, I go right to work completing your images. Because the editing is such a crucial final step in the way that your photographs will look, each portrait is hand selected & individually edited.
If you haven't scheduled your Reveal & Ordering Appointment, head over to the calendar to book it! At this time we will go through the images from your session together & you will choose your included Digital Files, Fine Art Print as well as any additional products or digital files.